Hardy winter crops

I have been making an effort this year to try to fill what is called "the hungry gap" - the period of time between January and March when Autumn crops have been used and Spring crops have not yet arrived.

Leeks - my old friend, can be dug up out of frozen soil and under snow always there, a reliable crop for the hungry gap. I tried some "January King" cabbage last year - they started out wonderfully but after a short holiday I came back to find them looking like a paper doylie, a lace curtain, fish net stockings... whatever. Purple sprouting broccoli - such a long hard winter last year that something ate my broccoli, I think it might have been pigeons.

So I have just sown some chinese cabbage, endive, perpetual spinach and golden turnips. All have come up, but I think the slugs have eaten all the chinese cabbage. I have bought 6 purple broccoli plants, they are growing beautifully - having to rub off caterpillar eggs every day.

So, armed with sprays, pellets and nets... LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!