Asparagus Pea

I like to try something new on the allotment every so often. Asparagus pea had often intrigued me so I planted some seeds this Spring. I have not heard great things about them but decided to give them a try for myself. The pods are supposed to be winged, and you are supposed to pick them very small, about 4cm long and steam them. They are supposed to taste of asparagus. I read about them recently and one grower stated that you must have a vivid imagination when you think that they taste of asparagus! At present their one redeeming feature is these lovely scarlet flowers! Has anyone tried growing asparagus pea? Was it worth it?

Elsewhere on the allotment, my 2 disappointing rows of carrots have failed miserably. Not only did I get only half a row out of each packet, in total only 6 carrots have germinated in both rows! The seed was definitely in date, (from T&M) I suppose they are temperamental like parsnip seeds. Anyway, I have sowed 2 more rows of Detroit 2 and Perfect 3 beetroot. I love beetroot! (My Uncle Charlie was sent home from Palestine during the war because they thought he had dysentery... actually he had been eating beetroots!!)