Runner Bean Wigwams

Having bit the bullet last week and planted out my tomatoes, I constructed and planted out my runner beanz. I had intended to grow a runner bean 'hedge' this year.. but decided that access to the far side of the hedge would be problematic because it is up against a fence. So now I have 4 wigwams. HOW!...

Well, it's quite simple really - six 8ft bamboo canes tied together with string. I have sown 8 different varieties of climbing beans with many different coloured flowers and beans. Runner beans are greedy feeders, and demand lots and lots of organic matter in the soil. Gardening lore has it that you cannot overwater runner beans.

Today I also planted my pumpkin and squash seeds in pots in the greenhouse. I have a wide variety of squashes from the USA - I am thinking of growing some on top of my new compost heap. They should be happy there!