Growing Mushrooms - Week 5

Just a quick update on my mushrooms which are hidden away in my garage at the moment. At about week 2 a tiny mushroom like fungus appeared on the surface of the compost, then grew into a 3" tall stalk of spaghetti, then died the next day! The instructions on the packet said that mushrooms should appear between 10 and 12 weeks, so I suppose that was a bit premature to hope. They seem to be growing a very definite white mould underneath the surface. I remember from my biology lessons that this is called a 'mycelium'. No signs of life yet, but will keep posted. Above is a picture of sowing the spawn from the packet. I think it was stuck onto rice grains.

Just to remind blog readers, please feel free to email me with your squash and pumpkin photos for Matron's Squashblog which will be posted here on 30th October. See my post from 11th October for email details.