A Runner Bean Question?

Here is a picture of one of my runner bean roots. In the last few days I have taken advantage of the wonderful sunny weather to have a big clear up down on the allotment. I thought I would carry out an experiment with my beans. I have heard that runner beans can be grown as a perennial if you preserve the root ball over Winter. Here you can see that the root has clearly swelled up like a corm. I am going to plant 6 of the best in a pot of dry compost in the greenhouse overwinter to see if they come to life next year. Has anyone heard of this method? Can beans be grown like this?

There are still a few days left to take a photo of your best pumpkin or squash and email them to me for Matron's Squashblog which will be posted on 30th October. See posts below for details.