Looking Forward

If you enjoy growing veggies then you will have to get used to waiting... several months or years before you see the fruits of your labour. This is particularly true of brassicas. This is very late this year, I have just heard on the news today that up to 50% of the UK crop of PSB has been destroyed by the very harsh Winter we have just had. I planted these broccoli seeds almost a year ago! Purple Sprouting Broccoli 'Rudolph' is one of my favourites. Here they are yesterday. It is tempting to cut just one or two sprouts just for an early taste. I think I will have to wait a couple of weeks before giving in. We had a beautiful sunny day yesterday, just the thing to get them growing.
My Rhubarb is starting early this year. I gave them several inches of well rotted manure compost a few weeks ago. I think the long, hard Winter has given them a nice, long dormant period in which to produce these lovely, fat shoots. The second patch I mentioned a couple of posts ago, I dug up, separated and re-planted 3 spindly little growths. These are streets ahead!
You might remember I planted a specially prepared potato to dig up on Christmas Day. Well, I have just planted one ultra early 'Rocket' seed potato in a pot in the heated propagator in the greenhouse. Just an experiment to see if I can grow an early crop in the greenhouse.
Another trial of something new this year. I have been a big fan of Medwyn Williams for a long time. Medwyn has produced show vegetables at the RHS Show at Chelsea for many, many years. He has won more gold medals at Chelsea than I could shake a stick at! I thought I would try a Butternut Squash 'Hunter' that does really well in the UK climate. Last year at Chelsea I saw him displaying a brand new cucumber 'Delizia' and I couldn't wait to obtain seeds.
They seem to be fairly similar to my furry cucumber 'Bari' that I tried last year. This type of cucumber seems to be small, light in colour, and fairly closely related to a melon.
These are the new 'Delizia' cucumbers from Medwyn's. I look forward to growing them.