Warmth and Wet

 
 Well the rain has eased a little bit, but the soil is still completely sodden.  I grow my veggies on London Clay, so any digging or even walking on soil is an extremely sticky and muddy affair.  Still, some of my veggies are just loving it.  (I've just discovered the photo size button on this new look Blogger!)

 These Broad Beans Aquadulce Claudia have been shooting up given all this warmth and rain in the last few weeks.  They certainly need tying up as soon as I can manage it, but treading all over this wet, London clay soil might do more damage than good.
 
 Meanwhile back to the Purple Sprouting Broccoli, this is in full production at the moment.  The stems are tender and lovely.  In a couple of weeks the stems might be a bit more woody and quite spindly.  When you pick the main stem, then smaller side shoots emerge from the plant and just get smaller and smaller.
 
 The pesky Wood Pigeons have been walking around my patch and nibbling the PSB leaves.  I wish Leo would do something about it, but until he has his stitches out I am loathe to send him out on a 'hunt to kill' mission.
 Anyway, it's not all bad out there.  Raindrops on fresh garden veggies are stunning.
 You don't get to see this if you buy your veggies in a sweaty plastic bag!
And even more excitement! I took a trip to Ealing Riding Stables yesterday where you can load up with as much hot, fresh horse manure as you like!  It has to mature and compost down for a while, but this stuff is steaming!  It goes like a rocket if you mix it with freshly mown grass clippings! Light the blue touchpaper and stand well back!