To chit or not to chit...?


L
o
o
k
h
e
r
e
My seed potatoes arrived this week from www.thompson-morgan.co.uk . Well, most of them arrived - sadly both my order and my Sisters order were wrongly packed and we did not get what we ordered. Here are the 'Epicure' and 'Rocket'. Hopefully in the next few days my 'Red Duke of York' will be arriving.

To chit or not to chit - that is the question. I do it because I have always done it... and also that you have to do something with them between the time they arrive in the post and the time you plant them. Good Friday is the traditional time that gardeners plant potatoes. (does anyone know any other gardening / planting folklore?) The idea is to put them on a tray with the eyes upwards, in the daylight but away from frost - and they will start to sprout. If they are kept in the dark the sprouts will be spindly and white, and break easily. But does it matter whether you chit or not? Some schools of thought say not. The BBC Gardeners' World programme did a trial last year, and it didn't seem to matter. Any thoughts on the subject?