More good stuff

This photo is living proof of my endeavours to encourage beneficial wildlife on my allotment. 2 years ago I laid some membrane down and covered it with a ton of wood chips. Not only was this a method of getting to my compost heap with more ease, it was my intention to encourage beetles and the like, who enjoy woodpiles and wood chips. You can just about see a brown substance on its legs and head. I am assuming that these are eggs being carried. I am also assuming that this is a stag beetle. It is about 2" long. Can anyone shed light on this please?

This photo is to illustrate how easy it is to make your own liquid feed. These are comfrey leaves. Scrunch up a bunch of comfrey leaves down the bottom of a bucket and put a brick on top.
Fill the bucket with water and then wait for about 2 or 3 weeks, I usually 'kick the bucket' every day or so to allow the methane gas to bubble up. You will be able to smell when it is ready! I must stress to blog readers that this feed is very strong and must be diluted about a cupful to every gallon. My dear friend recently poured neat liquid feed on his plants.... and phoned me up asking why they went brown and crispy! (so now you know, Stan!)

So here is my second crop of courgettes. My first plants are showing signs of slowing down production over the past few weeks after a splendid harvest this year. This courgette 'defender' has been put in a black plastic dustbin.


This picture is of my brassica enclosure, I have named it 'Guantanamo Bay'. I have also electrified the netting, put up machine gun towers at each corner, and dug in landmines all round. No critters are getting in here. Left row January King cabbage, centre row broccoli, right row protovoy cabbage.


I left one plant of my Vermont cranberry beans to go to seed. I shelled them yesterday. Can anyone with scientific knowledge please explain how 3 pods on the same plant as all the rest, produced red beans with white flecks, while the rest of the pods on the same plant have white beans with red flecks? I would love to know the scientific name for this phenomenon if anyone can help?