More Last Pickings

Yesterday I went out and picked a big bunch of spinach. These plants were planted in between my tomato plants in Spring as ground cover underneath them. This was an example of intercropping which seems to have worked well. The spinach suppressed any weed growth under the tomatoes, and now that the tomatoes have all been taken down because of blight, the spinach seems to have put on a growth spurt. Actually I pick two different pickings of spinach. One first picking of the outer leaves and the damaged leaves - to cook as a veggie supplement for my dog Buddy, and another picking for us humans!
I went out and picked this last lot of Vermont Cranberry Beans. These were seeds that I 'liberated' from George Washington's heritage vegetable garden at Mount Vernon, Washington. These are an ancient variety, from the Borlotti family, which date back to the 18th Century and which were the ingredient of the original Boston Baked Bean.