Signs of Spring

I sowed a few broad beans yesterday.I start them off with a little heat in individual modules then let them grow on unheated for a few weeks. These 'Aquadulce Claudia' would have been fine to plant out last Autumn to overwinter, but I find that they all catch up with each other sooner or later in the season.
I managed to get hold of a few of these French potatoes 'Vitelotte' at Borough market this week. They are purple all the way through and grow as a main/late crop.
My rhubarb has started peeking its shoots above the soil. It will have loved that hard covering of snow as it needs a good, cold dormant period to set crowns.
Rhubarb is also a greedy feeder so will love this thick covering of manure compost.
My Isle of Wight garlic seems to have survived the Winter uncovered too. The Early Purple came up first and is slightly larger. The Solent Wight was a bit slower, and the Chesnok Wight seems to have been nibbled at by something. I'm sure it will grow back.
Only a couple of years ago I planted just six raspberry canes in this patch. Just look at how they have spread! They can be a bit of a creeping pest if you don't keep them under control. I will keep the thickest canes and prune out the weedy ones!