Biodiversity in Your Garden

Matron is running a very special competition here on Saturday 1st May. What are you doing in your garden or allotment to encourage biodiversity? The Royal Horticultural Society is celebrating 2010 as the year of Biodiversity. They have asked me to ask you to write just 100 words on what you are doing on your plot to encourage biodiversity. The fantastic prize I will be giving to the winner is a one year RHS membership which entitles you and a friend free entry to any RHS garden for a year! WOW!
For me, I am doing everything I can think of on my vegetable garden to encourage pollinating insects! they just adore this broccoli that I have left to go to flower!
Just write your 100 words on my comments section on the Saturday 1st May post. I will choose the winner! I don't want a political rant, nor do I want you to get heavy... just some uplifting, original, inspiring and effective ideas.
You'll see here behind my Isle of Wight garlic I have created a log pile. This has been here for several years in a shady corner, I don't touch it, I just leave it for the beetles and earwigs.
And of course, the compost heap is just the engine room of any plot. I just love the science of mixing up the right combination of carbon, nitrogen, air and water. I like mixing compost heaps almost as much as I like making cakes!!! So many beneficial fungi, insects and critters live in the compost heap!
I thought I'd show you my lovely tomato plants. I have been hardening them off over the past couple of weeks. Last night they spent their first night out. Here you can see some side shoots which needed pinching out.
Actually, I refer to them as armpits!!
They have to be removed if you want a nice straight cordon tomato. Get thinking about those 100 words! Post them on Saturday!