More Seeds Sown

In a few weeks hopefully all danger of frost will be over. This will be the time to plant out the more tender veggies. Today I made a first sowing of sweetcorn 'Extra Tender & Sweet'. In the past few years better sweetcorn varieties have been bred which are more suitable for our British climate. I grew some of these F1 hybrid varieties last year and they really last on the plant for several weeks without going over. Well worth the extra money you have to pay for an F1 hybrid. I've left another dozen seeds in the packet for a second sowing in May. Now is a good time to start saving eggshells. I dry them in the greenhouse till they are brittle, and when I plant out my tomatoes I scrunch a handful of crushed eggshell into the planting hole to provide extra calcium for the plant.
I found a little unwelcome surprise in my garden shed this afternoon. Hanging from the ceiling was a little wasp nest. It was the same colour as the surrounding chipboard, an the wasps had been eating the chipboard and regurgitated it into this beautiful, delicate nest. It weighed next to nothing.
Quite a stunning feat of architecture. You can see that the multilayers would keep the nest well insulated and well ventilated.
But I don't want it in my shed thank you!