Autumn Harvest

Where has the Summer gone? I find it hard to believe that it is October already! There is still plenty of excitement on my patch. A few years ago I planted a potfull of Garlic Chives that came free with a magazine. They come up with a spectacular display of white flowers and seed head this time of year, and do not disappoint with a tasty salad ingredient either!
Just last week I found these Hops growing in a hedgerow, so I picked some and dried them. Apparently dried hops are known for making you feel sleepy, so I am going to mix them with some dried lavender and make a 'hop pillow'. Supposed to aid restful sleep! - I'll let you know.
I found this little novelty in a garden centre today. Sold as 'Christmas Potatoes' it appears to be a shoot in a pot!! If the seed potato has been prepared properly (and it looks like just one eye shoot rather than a whole potato) there is a slight possibility that I might be digging my own potatoes on Christmas Day. I'll pot it up in the greenhouse and keep my fingers crossed, but I won't hold my breath!
Speaking of Christmas Dinners - they say a watched pot never boils, but my brussels sprouts Bosworth are coming along a treat. Getting bigger each day.
These Sungold tomatoes are slow to ripen now, there has been a distinct lack of sunlight over the past couple of weeks, so I might feel the need to make some green tomato chutney before long!
Ditto with these Chocolate Cherry tomatoes. I just love this variety, such a great taste!
I'm just about ready to harvest these Delicata squash. One of my favourite squashes, this is also known as a sweet potato squash because of its sweet taste and dense texture. Doesn't do terribly well here in the UK, I was kindly sent the seed from Petunia's Gardener in Seattle. I just think it needs a longer, brighter Summer than we get here. Nevertheless, I wouldn't give this one a miss, it is well worth it.
Still just a few courgettes growing at the moment. This is my brilliant climbing courgette Black Forest. Definitely slowing down now, but perhaps we might have a couple of warm, sunny days soon....perhaps?
And these strawberries are a mystery! I thought that getting a few flowers a few weeks ago was just a response to a warm, sunny day. But look here! I'm pretty sure that I don't have any Autumn varieties planted... but on the other hand... Again, we need just a couple of late, warm sunny days to see if they will ripen. I'll label this plant for next year and see what happens in Spring.
And while I'm on the subject of Autumn Harvest, I've been invited by the RHS to attend the RHS London Autumn Harvest Show on 5th October. I'll report back to you on the highlight of the veggie gardener's year!
And finally.. I've never been good at finding both gardening gloves in the same place at once (or so I thought) one would mysteriously disappear, or I would find it half buried in the garden somewhere. Until today. I most definitely put both of them in the greenhouse last night, and came back home today at 5pm to find this one half way down the garden, in the rain... with a finger nibbled off!! I blame foxes! any other suggestions?