Happy Snapapple Night!

Whilst visiting the RHS Autumn show recently I found out about some of the ancient traditions surrounding the festivities on 31st October. Most people know about the tradition of 'bobbing for apples' but have you heard of 'Snapapple Night'? read on...
Of course in Scotland the tradition is slightly different.
People get up to the strangest things when they don't get sufficient daylight... How about this one?
Anyway, from apples to pumpkins. I was running a bit low on my favourite pumpkin pie spice mix. I usually buy this in the USA but supplies were running out. I decided to make my own spice mix.
Lightly toast cinnamon sticks, nutmeg pieces, cloves, allspice berries in an oven for about 5 mins. Add some powdered ginger and grind in a coffee grinder until blended. The best home made Christmas spice mix - ever!