Salford Black Beans

I've had some germination problems with these Salford Black BeansWith three separate attempts only 3 have germinated out of about 30 sown. The good news is that these three plants are healthy and vigorous. They have just started to set as well.

These beautiful jet black runner bean seeds were sent to me by Celia at Purple Podded Peas as part of my Buddy Morris memorial vegetable collection this year! Happily, these plants have a wonderful, deep bed of compost to grow in. I look forward to eating these, and saving seed for next year.

Meanwhile I'm still munching through some home grown strawberries. Have you ever tried Eton Mess? This can be made either with strawberries or rasberries, partially crushed, then folded gently with whipped cream and crushed meringue. A taste of heaven!