Fruits of the Field

Well, everything is swelling day by day at the moment. Despite the news of floods over the country, Hillingdon is in somewhat of a dry area. I still have to water and feed several times a week... until today. The heavens opened, the thunder and lightening frightened the dog, and the allotment had a well needed drink! These Tomatillo plants really protest in dry weather.
My butternut squash is just ripening. The vines on this plant stretch out about 20 feet across the garden. There are many small developing squashes, but they will not swell until I cut this big one off because it is taking all the energy from the plant right now.
I am allowing my courgettes to get a little bigger now that the plant has reached its full size. On smaller plants I rarely let them get beyond 5" because it stresses the plant to produce a fruit on a tiny plant. Right now my Defender courgette bush is about 7ft across and doing wonderfully.
The Tagetes marigolds are looking wonderful as well. These do need to be dead-headed frequently but they should keep pests and diseases away from most fruit and veg. Blog readers will know that I do not do flowers..... (you can't eat flowers).