Book Review

Look what Santa gave me for Christmas! My gardening guru, Bob Flowerdew has come up with another essential gardening book. He really knows his stuff! I do try most of the time to be as organic and as environmentally friendly as I can, but I am afraid slug pellets are the reason I cannot claim to be totally organic down on the allotment.
My all time favourite veggie gardening book is the Gourmet Gardener. Bob has years of practical gardening experience but really knows his onions, right down to the chemical intricacies of ripening hormones. If you want to know the reason why companion planting really works - the scientific reason - not just native American folklore... you must find out from Bob.
One of his best pieces of advice ever... to deter the birds from eating your precious soft fruit and your raspberries, go to a charity shop and buy an old fur coat. Cut the arm off the coat and sew the two ends together. Place this object on the soil beneath your soft fruit and the birds will assume it is a sleeping cat... and not go anywhere near it! Three cheers for Bob!