Matron's Titbox

Here is the family titbox! At the end of last Summer I gave it a coating of a varnish preservative to help it last a few more years. Last Spring we did have blue tits start a nest and it was wonderful entertainment watching them fly in and out every minute of the day. Sadly, some creature probably a cat or a magpie took the lid off the titbox and destroyed the nest. Today I took all the old nesting material out from the box and gave it a bit of a tidy up. I also nailed the lid shut! Fingers crossed a family will be putting a deposit on the property soon!
I also took the opportunity of tieing up the loganberry stems. You can just see here that I had 7 stems from the root. I used a staplegun and some plant ties to fasten them to the fence. 3 each side and one in the middle. The tits can help themselves!

I took advantage of a beautifully clear and bright weekend to put some hard work in. Yesterday I dug, weeded and raked flat an area for my onion bed this year. Overnight some wretched cat had walked all over it and dug holes and defacated all over my nice new bed!! Today I did more digging and weeding. It is so satisfying to stand back at the end of the day and see what you have done. Much more satisfying than pushing papers across a desk all day, eh?
My next post will be about how to make the best Seville Orange Marmalade in the world!