First Signs of Spring

Another Sunny day out on the veg patch today. When the wind wasn't blowing it was almost warm out in the sun, but once in the shade with a bit of a breeze it was still definitely Winter. Just in the last couple of days the first leaves of rhubarb have shown their crinkly little heads above the soil. I am keenly awaiting my rhubarb this year. Last January a good friend gave me some crowns to plant, so I did not pick any stalks at all last year to allow them to establish. I have also given them many dressings of rotted manure, so they should do well.

I spent some time in the greenhouse today, dusted off my heated propagators and plugged them all in. I have already planted some early tomatoes in the propagator, I thought I would try Supersweet 100 this year, has anyone tried them? Here is a picture of some purple podded peas which I seed swapped with Celia from ... purple podded peas along with some of her crimson flowered broad beans. Here you can see I've made good use of more toilet rolls as root trainers. Roll on Summer!