What are you giving up for Lent?

Next Tuesday is Shrove Tuesday, aka Mardi Gras or Pancake Day. This is the beginning of Lent in the Christian calendar. Whether you are a believer or not it is traditional and a worthwhile exercise to 'give up' something for Lent.

For the past few years I have given up shopping in big supermarkets for Lent. I take the opportunity to empty my store cupboard, take something from the freezer, use local shops and markets, and try to find local producers and growers and patronize local growers. I really detest what the big supermarkets are doing to our environment and how they abuse British farmers. There is a really useful website at Bigbarn where you just put in your local UK postcode and they will show you all the local producers, farms and shops near you. It is not meant to be easy, I saved many hundreds of pounds over the 40 days. Would anyone like to join me?