What's in the Greenhouse?

My shallots arrived in the post yesterday! I chose the variety 'Pikant' they are a round, pink type which are said to be prolific. It is a bit too early to plant them out in the open yet, they might just sit there and rot for a few weeks. Instead I am giving them a few weeks' start in an unheated greenhouse sat in modules. This will enable them to get some roots down in safety.

In the same way I started off some 'Crimson flowered Broad Bean' a heritage variety I seed swapped with Celia from Purple Podded Peas. I read a review on Daughter of the Soil, they sound wonderful, can't wait to see them. I will find them a prominent place in the garden.


I have had excellent germination with my tomato seeds this year. I sow them individually in small modules for potting up later. This year I have sown Sungold, Moneymaker, Supersweet100, Jubilee.

I bought a packet of Country Taste F1 hybrid this week in the shop at Wisley. A bit pricey at £2.99 for only 6 seeds! A new variety for this year in the Thompson & Morgan catalogue. I wonder which varieties they crossed to come up with this one? Anyone know? Supposed to be able to grow GIANT beefsteak tomatoes in the greenhouse. If I trim the trusses down to 2 or 3 flowers, maybe I'll grow a WHOPPER!